It was known to us by our server provider that this blog or site has been flagged for containing harmful codes. I did not notice it since I seldom visit my own blog as of late. I have been busy with my work and study and I could hardly find time to write once a month. It was when my husband got an email from our server provider informing us about the problem. I was alarmed, of course, so I checked it. Indeed there were pop-ups of sites we didn’t recognize when we clicked every post and category here. If you experienced the same, we’re so sorry!
We’ve thought this site was hacked! Hubby considered purchasing a clean-up tool to do it for us and perhaps it would helps us monitor this site. But, omg, how it cost! Then we thought “do we really have to pay that much just to keep this site from future hacks!” We shunned the costly idea for now.
What I did was to make some sort of checking of the files in the server. I did find some files which should not be there and deleted them. The WordPress version of this site is always updated but somehow the unwanted files got through the ‘contents’ and ‘includes’ maps. I think I’ve terminated or eliminated the worst but there is still one annoying pop-up that I need to shut down! Sometimes it pops, sometimes not. So wish me luck. If it continues to annoy us, then we’ll hire an expert.
UPDATE: We have successfully eliminated the infected files from our server. This blog is now uploading normally and after days of checking the annoying pop-ups are finally gone.